Monday, November 02, 2009

Review: (500) Days of Summer

I've always liked romantic comedies. It speaks something about me. I like romance and I like happy endings. I'm an idealist and I like to feel good. Despite so, I also like it when a movie tries to be inventive with a tried and proven formula. 500 days of summer is not your average romantic comedy. It has a non-chronological narrative and well, there is a twist in the end. This movie tries to answer one basic question: is there a special someone meant for you?

The movie deals with this using the 2 main characters: Tom who comes from a happy family and has a romantic picture of love and Summer who comes from a broken family and has a "why so serious?" attitude towards commitment. In the end, both learned a little more about the entire picture of love from each other. I like that kind of stuff too: kind of like Sense and Sensibility.

This movie also has a good Sixth Sense moment, where a line transforms how the movie is interpreted. For me, it is this line:
Rachel Hansen: Tom, I know you think she was the one, but I don't. Next time you look back, I think you should look again.

No comments: