Monday, February 02, 2009

Project Completion

I have finished the drama series QinShiHuang. I would say it is pretty good. I particularly enjoy the research that I did while watching the show. As I like to tell people these days, with the internet, there is no more ignorant people, only lazy people. I learned about feudalism, legalism and Confucianism.

On feudalism, I think it is a very bad system. It works for as most one generation. But once the infighting enters, well, you get the warring states. Legalism is great to total control, but it is hard to draw the line at moderation. As for Confucianism, the premise that people are born good, basically needing only education as guidance is a hard pill to swallow. For everywhere we see depravity, especially on the rich and educated.

So, what is the best form of governance? My personal preference is still on balance. We work hard on education, but we should not be overly naive about human weakness. The leader should aim to be transparent and not overly obsessed about power. Yet, to reduce conflict, it is still important to show who's in charge.

Question: What is your preferred form of leadership and governance?

No comments: