Thursday, December 24, 2009

Review: The Year of Living Biblically

I bought this book, The Year of Living Biblically, by A.J. Jacobs out of fun. The premise of a person's quest to live out the bible literally for a year is just too hard to miss. I enjoy humor, and I think the book would be good for learning what is wrong with religious fundamentalism.

It turns out that I got way more than what I have bargained for. This book is probably one of the best book on religion I've ever read, and I've read quite a bit. The reason for this high praise is because this book is right up my alley on what religious reflection is about. It is about a honest and sincere attempt to understand. I love the short stories on the many different adventures with the different laws and the author's conclusion about them. They are written with wit and wisdom. I also love the fact that he is Jewish and agnostic and the difficult journey he took to reconcile himself with his ancestors' faith.

This is a book for everyone.

No comments: